- First 2 Weeks or until the majority of seeds germinate: Water seed 1-2 times daily. Set your manual or automatic sprinkler time based on when the water penetrates the soil. Keep the seed moist for quickest results.
- Second 2 Weeks: Water seed every other day. Set your manual or automatic sprinkler time based on when the water penetrates the soil.
- After 4 Weeks: Maintenance water 2 times per week when there is not sufficient precipitation.
- Tip: Seeds will germinate in approximately 10-14 days with proper watering. Rainfall will encourage quicker germination. Mature lawns need enough water to penetrate the soil 1-2 times per week. An ideal amount of rainfall would be 1” per week (split into 2 waterings of ½”). Remember, light rainfall will not be enough water to penetrate the soil of the lawn and lightly soak the roots. It is important to monitor your lawn during the first year, as lawns will need supplemental watering during hot and dry conditions. If you water your lawn more than 2 times per week you are increasing the chance for disease and fungus problems. Disease problems increase with high moisture, heat and humidity.
require more frequent watering:
- Plants installed in full sun,
especially afternoon sun exposure will require more water as the intense
sun will dry out the soil more quickly. The opposite is true for
full shade locations.
- Windy locations or windy
conditions will dry out plants more quickly.
- Plants installed on slopes will dry
out more quickly as gravity will cause the water to go downhill away from
the plant roots.
- Plants installed near foundations
or structures or under overhangs will not receive as much rainfall as open
- Large evergreens over 4' in height
and all trees are best watered by hand so the water is concentrated to
reach the entire root ball to a depth of 12-24". This can take
several minutes for each plant during each watering cycle.
The following settings are guidelines and approximate estimates based on
typical conditions and systems. Coverage of systems, water pressure and
other factors may alter these recommendations, please adjust accordingly.
New sod/seed/plant watering times:
- Rotor heads/MP heads
30-45 minutes per cycle
10-15 minutes per cycle
30-60 minutes per cycle
Maintenance watering: Water 2-3 times per week only. Recommend using the times above but err on the side of more water since
you are only watering 2-3 times per week.