Fortunately, new smart landscape technology is coming out every year, and having a lush and green landscape is easier and more economical than ever.
The United States Environmental Protection Agency estimates that about 50% of the water used for irrigation is wasted, taking a toll on the environment and your budget. Using a modern, smart irrigation system can help you save between 25-50% on your water bills. Upgrading your system quickly pays for itself.
Curious about smart irrigation? Read on to find out more.
What is a smart irrigation system?
Smart irrigation systems use the latest technology to…
- Monitor weather and soil conditions through real-time updates.
- Check on water evaporation and plant water use.
- Automatically adjust the watering schedule based on the actual conditions of your landscape — a sharp contrast to the traditional style of irrigation controller, which was a basic, time-based program that ran on a schedule.
While these controllers can “think” for themselves, you can also control them through a phone app, tablet app, or through a website. At Brandon Rushing, we recommend and install Rachio smart irrigation controllers, which can integrate with your existing irrigation system.
What are the benefits of smart irrigation?
- No wasted water! — By adjusting water use based on your local weather conditions and soil moisture, your controller will optimize the amount of water it’s dispersing. And because it’s constantly gathering real-time data on the amount of water it’s using, it “knows” how to always apply the right amount of water at the right time of day.
- Less maintenance and less service calls. — As the smart irrigation controller makes adjustments to your watering schedule for you, you’ll have less service calls from your lawn care company. Many of our clients don’t need to be present for routine system turn-ons or shut-downs as we’re able to control the system with a smart device from outside the home. That’s a whole four-hour window of time freed up for you!
- Find out how much water you’re using (and saving!) — Your controller’s app gives you access to all sorts of helpful data at the click of a mouse or tap of a finger. Most apps come with a reporting feature that compiles the data for you, so you can find out how much water is actually being used — and how much you’re saving. Most homeowners find they save up to 50% more water than a conventional system.
- Get alerted to issues before they become problems. — Whether it’s defective pipes, faulty valve wires, or a broken sprinkler head, your system will send you an alert. These alerts are sent when the controller senses too much water flow or too little water flow. Once you (or your lawn care company) know the problem, you can act quickly to prevent costly landscape damage.
- Get reports and alerts no matter where you are. — With smart irrigation, your landscape can be watered from anywhere in the world. One controller that we install has a “flow meter” that registers the flow of water through the system. Say you’re out of town and a major leak develops — the meter would send you (or us) a warning. The system will automatically shut itself off and the issue can be fixed before it runs again.
Want some help?
If you’re ready to start saving water — and saving money at the same time — ask us about upgrading to a smart irrigation system on your property.
As part of our services, we’ll have access to your irrigation data and will make any necessary repairs throughout the year.
Ready to start saving water (and money)? A smart irrigation system is the answer!